Friday, January 30, 2009

My Critters

I have known for some time that when I put food out to feed the cats outside, other animals dig in. For example, I know that the birds and squirrels have also been chowing down. The squirrels also chewed through the plastic container that I keep the bird food in to chow down on that. I don't mind really. They have to eat, so especially in the winter I am happy to help.

A few weeks ago after one of my trips I noticed that all the food was gone. I really do put out a lot of food to make sure the cats don't go hungry while I am gone. I was curious just how many cats had come to eat that weekend. Then one evening while sitting in the kitchen, I heard a noise on the porch. I flip the light on and push the curtain back to see just who it is that is eating so noisily. It is two dogs. I let them eat, then refill the bowls for my feline furbabies who will come out to eat early in the morning.

Then last night, I hear more noise on the back porch, so again I flip on the light and there stands the dogs again. They take off running when they see me. About 30 minutes later, I hear noise again and am curious which dog is the brave one. It is not a dog at all! It is a little possum! He was a little one and still kind of cute so I did not run him off either. I am sure that as nature goes he will grow up into a big ugly possum, but for now he was cute, so he can stay.

Can you tell that I love animals?

1 comment:

Penny said...

Our food disappears fast too! We feed the cats, possums, and raccoons!