I was at Target. It had been a long day with S. He was being pretty good, all things considered. Shopping was not one of his strong suits. It still isn't as far as I can tell. We got to the checkout and I started plopping all the junk on the counter. This was always a big deal as S always had to ride in the back with his backpack and unload all his stuff to play with while I was shopping. We get all the stuff scanned, bagged and loaded back into the cart. We walked (I walk, he rides) over towards the door. I started picking all his "treasures" that must be carried with him everywhere he went. And trust me, that was no small task. The kid had more treasures than anyone I have ever known.
I got both of our coats on and off we went. We get to my car. (Man, I miss that car. That would be the one I wrecked twice, and boy was it my favorite car ever!) I loaded our bags into the trunk. I loaded S's backpack. I went to lift him out of the cart and realized that I had a small package laying in the cart still. It was the mascara that I had picked up. I knew immediately that I had not paid for it.
I pushed the cart right back into the store and went to the customer service desk. I took out the mascara and told the girl at the desk that I needed to pay for it. I found it in the bottom of the cart when I was unloading and now needed to pay. She stared at me. I said again that I needed to pay for the mascara. She actually asked me if I was for real. I had no idea what she meant. I said excuse me? She then proceeded to tell me that in the whole time she worked there, she had never heard of anyone coming back to pay for something that made it out of the store. I asked her again to please ring it up. She told me to wait just a minute. She picked up the phone and called someone. This faceless person showed up a moment later. It was a manager. She got the "story" from the girl behind the desk. She looked at me and said she didn't understand why I would bring it back in. I told them to just ring the mascara up so I could get on my way home. She rang it up and told me she was sorry for their reaction, but that this was unheard of. No one comes back in to pay for something once they are out.
My response to these two gals? I looked at them, then looked at my son, who was taking in everything that was being said. I then told them that I had to bring it back to pay. What kind of example would I be if I taught my son at four years old that it was okay to steal as long as no one catches you? What kind of person would I be in his eyes if he thought I was not trustworthy? What in the world could I have done differently that would not shape my son's view of life into something a little less positive and right? Nothing. I had to show him the proper way to live and be. The proper way to behave. I certainly was not going to teach my four year old that it's okay to steal. They were completely flabbergasted by that. They had never heard of anyone saying something like that.
I look back at this situation and have several thoughts. The first being, what kind of employees do these stores hire if they expect people to steal and are shocked when they don't. The whole planet is not a bunch of thieves.
The second being that I hope I made a good impression on all involved in the deal. I hope that my son learned a lesson that stealing is not okay. And I really, really hope that those two gals could look at people a little differently, and maybe not so cynically. Look at people and see that there might be some good in there.
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Well at least 1 of the 3 adults in the room has some morals.lol
You did right....well, you know that already.
I have done the same when that happens...or I'll wait til I go back(if I am too tired or am late for something) and bring the item with me and pay for it on that trip.
I guess Target doesn't give new employees any kind of handbook or training session....seems like honestly and morals would be a good thing to let new employees know about IF they hadn't considered it BEFORE being hired.
This is just another example of the great chasm between 'those that have'(the rich/the owners/etc.)and 'those that don't have'(the working stiffs/the little guy). If you work you are either one or the other-you own the business and have a vested interest in if it succeeds & if you work for someone else you are always looking for ways to 'stick it to the man'. When I worked for other people, there were always lots of co-workers who stole, it's rampant in the business world. It's very sad...
Good for you!!! I have done the same thing with much the same reactions. But like you I had both my kids along and used it as a teaching moment about honesty. One time at pizza place, when I wet up to pay, I knew the bill wasn't high enough, and I told the clerk. he said "In the twelve years he worked there NO ONE had EVER done that!" What a sad comment about the morals of people.
I've gone back in to pay for items on a couple occasions. As a former cashier at Wal-Martr I've seen a few come back in to pay, but it doesn't happen often. Good for you for showing your son the right thing to do.
So happy to hear this story! This reminds me of when my little guy was three (3), and we lived in Hawaii (Yes, this is Jmo from da Pound and this is about "Grocery Boy"--who is now nearly 24!).
We were shopping in a store and something caught his eye. It was small and like an ornament. He wanted it, and I didn't think much about it but told him I wouldn't be buying it for him. In fact, I don't think I bought anything and then we walked out to the car. As we're getting in, I noticed a little wooden bird with a string in his hand! I asked him where he got it and he told me he found it in the parking lot.
I told him this was "stealing" and explained that it was wrong to do. I then quickly grabbed his little hand and we returned to the store. I talked to the owner and explained the situation and that I was returning it.
She was quite abrupt and stern (I thought she was about to call the police!) and said, "I want to take your son to the backroom and talk to him." I still remember how huge GB's baby blue eyes were with fright! There he stood (literally) speechless.
I was incredulous with her comment as "Grocery Boy" was just 3! I told her she could talk to him, but it had to be right now with me standing next to him. So she gave him a very stern speech, and then was quite rude to me--including not even thanking me for bringing the item back. We then left the store (I never returned as a customer because she was so intense.)
Centralillionisian, congrats on teaching your son right vs. wrong. Remember, we truly are our kids' first teachers...
Yea Jennysmom! I am so glad to hear from you! I hope you are doing well out there. I don't blame you for not going back. One can only be so stern with a three year old or run the risk of loosing the lesson you want to teach and wind up teaching that it's better to just not tell or admit to an error for fear of getting in trouble.
I am glad to see that there are lots of us moms out there though that feel the desire to teach our children right from wrong. I hope this tells us good things for our future.
Post a Comment