Thursday, February 11, 2010

She's Moved

Well, what an intersting weekend this was for the move.

It all started with the drive down. I don't know about all of you guys, but I am sick to death of snow and ice. especially since I have to keep driving in it. I left work early, which I planned to do anyway, but instead of going home and just being there for a while, I left home almost immediately. Which was a good thing. The first road I was on was a state route and they were plowing, but it was coming down faster than they could get it cleared back off. And of course everyone was driving really really slow. I am a total lead foot and don't like to drive slow, especially when I know the roads are just snowy and not slick. I did eventually get out from behind the slow drivers and the rest of us made good time. I made it through all the small towns and got onto the interstate.

The interstate was awful. The plow trucks had plowed and salted so there was a lot of slick icy slush. It was not fun to drive in. The big trucks were still passing me and as they passed, they threw the slush up on my windshield making it so I couldn't see until they were all the way around me. I had to drive on this interstate for about 55 miles. It took well over an hour. I slipped and slided on several occasions. I saw lots of other cars sliding too.

The next interstate was just as bad to start with. There was not quite as much snow on the road, but as I was driving I realized it was also a lot more ice than the other road had. Several cars went off the side of the road in front of me. A couple went too far into the ditch to be able to get back out, but several slid to the edge and when their tires caught traction on the grass they stopped without trouble. I watched one try to just get right back on, like it had never happened. This interstate drive was over 100 miles. After about 45 minutes the snow started turning to rain. Then just a few more miles down the road, it was all rain. I was able to make good time after that.

I switched interstates one more time to get to my cousin's town. I found my exit with no problem and made the first couple of turns on the directions I had printed from online. Then I could not find the road I was supposed to turn on. So, I backtracked to the interstate and started over thinking maybe I had started off wrong. No such luck. The road was not where it was supposed to be according to my directions. I went back to the main road and parked in the Wags parking lot. Gotta love that I can find the Wags anywhere. I sent a text to my cousin telling her to come and get me. In the meantime, I sent text messages back and forth with MM. I called my son. And then my cousin showed up. I followed her to the wine store. We backtracked to go to her house.

We ended up going straight to bed because we were all exhausted. I am sleeping in her room as there is not anywhere else to sleep as she has everything packed up. As we are laying there, we could hear her cats making a lot of racket. She did not want the cats to wake up her step dad so she went to see what they were doing. And I thought she was going to die laughing with embarassment. They were having sex! Her male cat is fixed, but the new female cat that she found last summer is not. We had a really good laugh over that. She said they had never done that before. I said they just had been being sneaky and hiding it from mom!

We separated the cats and went to bed. We all slept okay. My cousin and her step dad went and got donuts and the truck while I stayed there. She also had some friends showing up from work. About an hour and a half later, we had her all packed and loaded and were finishing cleaning the house up. We swept and mopped and then it was time to go. I followed them a  little ways, but they were stopping to load her car on a tow dolly. I gave her hugs and started on my way.

The drive home was uneventful. The roads were clear and my car made it the whole way. And of course that was the last time I would be driving to see her. I could probably drive to her new home, but it will be about 5-6 hours instead of 3 1/2 to 4.

And so that was the weekend for moving. No wine cuz there was no time. Bad slick roads going to pick up her step dad, not enough time to eat our pizza (which was really good btw) before picking him up, the ride home even worse, and the cats having sex when we were trying to go to bed. It's always a trip when we get together. It's also always a good time.

1 comment:

Virginia Mom said...

Apparently getting "fixed" didn't stop her male cat from getting the "urge"! LOL That definitely made for a memorable night! We don't have any cats, but there are 2 or 3 strays that seem to be having some kind of turf war over our yard- they wake us up screeching and fighting just about every night. (And it's always like 2AM...right in the middle of deep sleep!) Animal Control around here won't come pick up feral cats- so I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to do- I don't even know if the little monsters have homes or not!