Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Favorite Piece of Furniture

mindbump suggested by Furniture Gothic

"Describe your favorite piece of furniture. What kind of memories are associated with it?"



I found this prompt today while scanning around for a different kind of topic. I like this one because my favorite piece of furniture is my loveseat. It is not the best  quality. And it is not really holding up to the abuse it received from my son as a toddler (can you say jumper?), and it certainly is not faring well against three cats and all those sharp pointy claws.
 
It is a rough sort of texture. Not really rough per se, just certainly not the smooth texture of, say, my sisters couch. Maybe more like a bit nubby. It is brown in color with threads of tan running through it.
 
After a couple of years of abuse from my son jumping on it and me flopping down on it, some of the springs have started to give way. I had to place a board under the cushions so that you don't sink in so far your knees are at your ears.
 
My cats have taken to clawing on one of the corners. At least it is on the back side where no one can see it. I must say, though, that it took a lot longer than I figured to start showing any wear from that. I figured in a few months, my heathens with claws would have shredded all fabric off of it. It took over 6 years.
 
It is, however, the only piece of furniture in my house that I bought, brand spankin new. Everything else in my house is either a hand-me-down, bought by someone else for me or a yard sale find. I searched high and low for weeks to find something that was the right color (to hide stains), the right texture (sturdy fabric for those cat knives), the right size (most of my homes have been pretty small), and of course comfy. This love seat fit all the requirements. So I bought it on the spot. Then realized I was in a two door car. I had no way to get it home and the store did not deliver. So I called my mom and told her I needed to borrow her SUV, or needed her to come back with me to pick it up. She was busy right then, but would be ready when I got there. Off I go to momma's house, and back we ride. We load it in her SUV and take it to my house. My very first piece of furniture that I was the only one who ever owned it. That love seat will hold a place in my memories forever. I was pleased when I bought it, and am still happy with my purchase.
 
What is your favorite piece of funiture in your house? Why?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks.....I enjoy your posts

-jayce04