Thursday, April 30, 2009

Challenge Update

Still following Precious' Challenge, I have not spent any money hounding since returning home late Sunday night/early Monday morning. I did go and get stamps and mail two packages on Wednesday, but that is not really hounding. I wanted to get the stamps before the price increase and figured I had better do that before I forgot. I do still mail out some of my bills. My water cannot be paid online it must be paid at the local office in town or mail it. I drop it off on my way to or from work. The power company charges for an online or pay by phone and if I pay the power at a local business, I pay again. I mail it, it is cheaper. Everything else I can pay online. Even with trading q's with my fellow hounds, 100 stamps should last a while.
I will have to get groceries tonight. I am running out of meat, and need some fresh fruits and veggies. I have plenty of frozen, but no onions, peppers and the like. I also have some q's expiring today that I would like to use. I will have to go to the dreaded walmart though. They are cheaper around here even if they are rude and unhelpful, and don't carry a lot of brands that I like. Or they carry the brand but not the variety that I like. They got rid of a lot of food items not too long ago to add like two or three isles of alcohol.
On a side note, and to get your opinion, I would really like to have internet at home. I can only access the internet at work or if I want to drive to my mom's house about 10-15 minutes away. I thought about getting a net book and an air card so that I could take it with me to my visits. My son would love that. Unfortunately, an air card is like $60 a month and I don't have that much to spend, even if I could find a net book cheap enough. So I am checking out getting internet service on my phone. I looked it up and went into the store to see what they had. I can get a new phone, case, car charger, and something else for $100 with a $5o mail in rebate. It is a phone with a large screen and a keyboard, but not an iphone or blackberry. It actually is a pantech which is what I have now. I can then add internet service with unlimited access for $15 a month. It does not include text or pic messaging. I am not sure that I would need that. If I wanted to add unlimited text and pic messaging (like to take a photo and load it to my blog here), it would add another $15 a month. I think with no more than I have used those features now, I would not need it. I believe that the most I have ever paid with pay per use texting and messaging was around $3. That is a whole lot less than $15! I would probably use it a lot if I had it but I really don't think I need it. I can access online email since it is internet with no extra charge. I will just have to start using my gmail account more often. So with all this information, what do you think? Should I go for it? It would be useful in my hounding as I could look up deals when I am already at a store and confused on a deal. I could also contact/chat with my hounding buddies in the evening and on the weekends if I chose to. It would also be neat for my son to use it, and for me to use it when I am traveling, especially when I am traveling through bad weather like my mom and I did a couple of weeks ago. But it will increase my bill about $20 total with the tax the gal told me at the store. Should I? Shouldn't I? I am waffling here. I want it but do I need it? Will the benefit outweigh the cost? I just hate parting with this much money without thinking it to death. I do tend to over-analyze everything! I have mostly made up my mind that I should go for it, but just thought I would see what you all think!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are going to use it quite a bit and you have no service at home I would think it would be worth it. Being able to figure out the deals on the weekends or at the last minute might save you the $20 a month.

Just call me Yankee said...

Tiffany, I had not really thought about it that way. I assumed I could use it for deals but not thought all the way through to saving if I could see the posts/deals.

Chicagolandia said...

Being able to access internet on the go sounds like a great idea and it could help you save money in the end. Being able to see what's on sale and where could help streamline the hounding process.

American Dreamer said...

I don't know what I would do without internet access at all times. It saves me so much money on groceries, other shopping since I can look for coupons and most importantly researching whatever I am doing. If you believe that you can save more money than you are going to spend monthly, then I say go for it.