Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What to Cook Wednesday

Healthy Sloppy Joes

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 onion chopped
1 cup finely shredded carrots or zucchini or squash
spaghetti sauce
chili powder
pepper
salt (if you want)

Brown the turkey and onion. Drain of any grease/fat. Add the shredded carrots. This is a good way to strecth your meat dish and to add veggies. For the spaghetti sauce, I used one with no added veggies. It was plain sauce. I used about half of the jar. You want the texture to be thick but not dry. Add the spices-I do not add salt to my dishes until at the table if it is needed. I added the chili powder and the pepper. Heat through, stirring occasionally. If you find at the end that you used too much sauce and it is not thickening up, just add a bit of tomato paste as a thickener. The original directions called for this, but I decided to skip this step and just use less sauce. This will not taste exactly the same as regular sloppy joes, however, it is similar and way healthier.

No comments: