I was really having a hard time deciding what to post for today. I have been thinking about it since last week. I could not think of anything that was calling my name: Post me, Post me. Nope, it just was not there. Maybe because I was not really craving anything. Except ice cream, but that is a whole other topic...
So I decided to ask what my co-workers were having. No good ideas there either. Next I thought to ask what sounded good. But I was getting the same suggestions I had; Ice cream. It's always good. Finally I decided to fall back on something I make when it gets cool out, since it is not even 70 degrees here right now.
Mostly home made veggie soup. I usually make it in the crockpot. I like to throw it together in the morning and come home to a delicious smelling house. I usually just add bread and butter to go with it. This is also one of those recipes that you can adjust to what ever you like. There is no right or wrong combination.
If you want, you can add stew meat. Just brown it before adding to the pot. My mom likes to add it because she likes the flavor, me, I don't add it. I think it is fine without it and it makes it cheaper to make.
I use a variety of veggies, mostly depending on what's in my freezer and pantry. I usually use green beans, lima beans, corn, carrots (I like fresh baby carrots), black or kidney beans, cut up canned tomatoes, peas, spinach, onions. Like I said just about anything. I do not use broccoli or cauliflower. The taste is too strong. I throw the veggies in the crockpot. If you are using canned veggies, for added flavor you can leave some of the water it is packed in. I usually use the juice from the tomatoes and sometimes the green beans and corn. Depends on how "soupy" you want it. Next add V-8 juice. You can use which ever variety of V-8 you like. I personally like the reduced sodium. My mom likes the spicy. My sister uses the regular. If I am making a big batch, I use the big bottle and use it all, if I am making a smaller batch I either use a portion of the big bottle and freeze the rest, or just use a smaller bottle. I also add herbs or spices like pepper, sometimes basil or sage. I cook it on low all day, give it a good stir and serve. That is it. Super simple. Easily adaptable. It just hits the spot on a cool day. Especially with some warm fresh baked bread and melty butter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment